As we continue to advance the children’s school experience, I want to thank everyone for their continued support of our “return-to-school” plan. I am very happy to report that our first week of “all-in” for our in-school learners was a tremendous success. This has been and continues to be a full community effort.
In an email I sent Friday afternoon I spoke about the importance of good communication, especially when it comes to our present societal predicament. There is so much we need to balance…there is so much more we want for the children and our schools. We will continue to push forward to enhance their learning and social experiences. Amongst what we need to be able to balance is one’s privacy with the delivery of critical information.
To date, we have not had a positive COVID-19 case of a student or staff member at Chatterton. We must, just in case, be prepared to address such a possibility. As a repeat from Friday’s email home, I share the steps we will take if we, at Chatterton, are alerted to a positive case of COVID-19.
- Collect information from positive case – the more information we have, the smoother the process will go
- Consult with the Department of Health and central office administrators to determine people or programs to inform and/or quarantine
- Collect contact information for all close contacts to provide to the Department of Health
- Inform staff and affected students’ families
- Manage student pick up in the event we must dismiss children during the school day
- Inform community
- Prepare for remote program for students or classes who need to quarantine. This includes:
- Gathering materials
- Securing devices and determining who needs ones
- Preparing schedules to send to families
- Follow up communication with building staff, positive case and quarantined people, and the community
As you can see our process is extensive. It takes time, and our primary responsibility is to keep the students, staff and our school as safe and healthy as possible. During a recent event in another district school, while the principal was focusing on containing the situation and following the protocols, she was alerted that information about the positive case was posted on social media and was also being shared by community members who were not affected but who “figured it out.” Critical efforts were interrupted to answer phone calls and emails from ill-informed community members and to calm concerned staff. Sharing information in a disorderly manner interfered with the school’s ability to keep the school community safe and jeopardized processes necessary to remediate the real problem.
Needless to say, communicating with families and staff is an integral part of this process. These are uncertain times for all of us and everyone deserves to receive accurate information from an informed, trusted and reliable source, when the time is appropriate.
Please know that if we have a confirmed case we will inform the community. Your trust in this communications process is important for us to be able to manage these instances safely and efficiently.
Thank you for your diligence and cooperation in everything you do to help keep our schools open and to offer the children the best possible learning environment.
ON THE CALENDAR
Monday September 28 Schools Closed
Monday October 12 Schools Closed
PTA Website – If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo. http://chattertonpta.org
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS
PTA Membership– This year we are asking all families to join using the following link http://chatterton.memberhub.store. Standard membership is $15.00 and each additional family member is $10. Classes with 100% membership participation will receive a class reward!
SEPTA: Merrick School District Special Education PTA, serves the interest of families in all three of our elementary schools – Chatterton, Birch and Levy Lakeside. Please support SEPTA and become a member! https://merricksepta.memberhub.store
CHATTERTON PTA FUNDRAISERS
- Get the Merrick School District Electronic Discount Card for only $21 total! This year the “card” is accessed through a phone app. The card/app will “pay for itself” since you can use the coupons all year long. Each discount can be used every time you shop. There is no limit to the amount of times you use each one. Discounts are good through June 30, 2021. There will be a $1 transaction fee ($20 cost of card + $1 transaction fee). To order your card, please click on the following link: https://tdcapp.us/school_student/schoolstd After your order is placed, you will receive a text message with the link to the app. Please click the link and follow the steps at the bottom of the page that states, “Tap the icon below, scroll and select to add to your home screen”. Once it is saved to your home screen, just click away to show the discount to your local businesses! You will access this app each time you want to use a discount. If you have any questions please contact: Jessica Mack, Chatterton School, 516.721.4175, Chattertonptafundraising@gmail.com
- BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION- In case you don’t have enough to remember these days, this is just a friendly reminder that Chatterton is a strong participant in the Box Tops for Education program. In the last 5 years, Chatterton has been awarded almost $10,000! This is FREE and EASY money for our PTA to put towards school improvements and events for our children. All you have to do is download the free app, clip/scan your store receipt with any Box Tops brands and the money goes straight to our school account. We will continue to award our top classes who submit the most clipped Box Tops during the year! Please make sure all clippings sent in with your child are clearly labeled with your teacher’s name in a baggie/envelope so that your class gets credit towards a prize. Since July, Chatterton has already earned $32 (that’s 320 Box Tops!) so keep it going! For more information or questions, please contact Chatterton’s Box Tops Coordinator, Samantha Pucella, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stop & Shop A+ Rewards Program – Help us earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support
- Amazon Smile– When buying on Amazon choose the following organization to support: PTA New York Congress 010-140 Chatterton School PTA.