We have a pretty busy week coming up this week. Today, we will participate in “World Day for Bullying Prevention.” Actually, throughout the week…not just today… we will read quotes of kindness, respect, friendship, etc. to the students during our morning announcements. We plan to accentuate the positive character traits to prevent the negative behaviors that hurt others’ feelings. Students and staff are wearing blue today to show our solidarity against bullying behaviors.
Tomorrow (10/6) is the scheduled date for the Chatterton Photo Day. In an effort to best understand the “congregating” challenges of Photo Day and to get a head start on the yearbook, we will have a “phase-in” Photo Day with just having the 6th graders take their photos on 10/6. We plan to take pictures for the other grades in the spring.
We have designed the process to look a little differently than what we have had in the past. Please note:
· Pictures to be taken outside.
· No sitting pictures; Island Photo will use a green screen for the individual standing portraits.
· There will be no full class pictures taken. Class pictures to be created by superimposing individual shots into a group picture.
· In an effort to include the remote students in a group picture, we are planning on adding a full grade picture option inside the package.
HAPPY (ALMOST) HALLOWEEN! While our plans are still to be determined for Chatterton Halloween events for Friday, October 30, all students (K-6) will be permitted to wear a costume to school. Costumes must meet the following criteria to be worn at school:
· Costumes should be fun, happy and interesting, not gory, violent, obscene, brief/revealing, or mean-spirited.
· Students are not permitted to wear non-medical masks or full facial painting with the intent of being able to safely identify all students and people in the building.
· There will be no weapons permitted as part of any costume including, but not limited to fake guns, swords, knives, light sabers, axes, etc.
· “Group” costumes are discouraged. Our school promotes a culture of inclusion and group costumes have an unintended exclusionary consequence.
· In accordance with the allergy policy, NO FOOD SHOULD BE SENT IN FOR SHARING, including on Halloween.
We appreciate your adherence to these guidelines.
Please remember that early dismissal is this Friday, 10/9/2020. Please see exact dismissal times below for Friday.
- Kindergarten and Grade 1 Walkers: 2:25 PM
- Grades 2 and 3 Walkers: 2:35 PM
- Grade 4 Walkers: 2:30 PM
- Grades 5 and 6 Walkers: 2:40 PM
- Busses will depart at approximately 2:50 PM.
The field work continues to progress. We have received very good cooperation with the contractor and we are very excited for the work to be done and for the field space to be available to the children. Again, we appreciate your patience and understanding.
Great Student News:
One of our 6th grade students, Kohana Bloom, has recently auditioned for and been accepted into two Long Island youth ensembles: Children’s Orchestra Society and the Nassau Suffolk Band. This is a HUGE accomplishment! Kohana also plays the flute and oboe. Congratulations Kohana.
Please join for the Board of Education meeting on Tuesday and the SEPTA meeting on Wednesday. Have a great week!
REMINDER: DON’T FORGET TO DO THE HEALTH SCREENING APP EACH MORNING. Please try to complete it before 8:00 AM.
Lastly, please note-PTA and SEPTA memberships may be completed online. I encourage all families to join the PTA & SEPTA!
ON THE CALENDAR
BOE Meeting Tuesday October 6 at 7:15pm
SEPTA Meeting Wednesday October 7 at 7:15pm
Monday October 12 Schools Closed
PTA Website – If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo. http://chattertonpta.org
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS
PTA Membership– This year we are asking all families to join using the following link http://chatterton.memberhub.store. Standard membership is $15.00 and each additional family member is $10. Classes with 100% membership participation will receive a class reward!
SEPTA: Merrick School District Special Education PTA, serves the interest of families in all three of our elementary schools – Chatterton, Birch and Levy Lakeside. Please support SEPTA and become a member! https://merricksepta.memberhub.store
CHATTERTON PTA FUNDRAISERS
- Get the Merrick School District Electronic Discount Card for only $21 total! This year the “card” is accessed through a phone app. The card/app will “pay for itself” since you can use the coupons all year long. Each discount can be used every time you shop. There is no limit to the amount of times you use each one. Discounts are good through June 30, 2021. There will be a $1 transaction fee ($20 cost of card + $1 transaction fee). To order your card, please click on the following link: https://tdcapp.us/school_student/schoolstd After your order is placed, you will receive a text message with the link to the app. Please click the link and follow the steps at the bottom of the page that states, “Tap the icon below, scroll and select to add to your home screen”. Once it is saved to your home screen, just click away to show the discount to your local businesses! You will access this app each time you want to use a discount. If you have any questions please contact: Jessica Mack, Chatterton School, 516.721.4175, Chattertonptafundraising@gmail.com
- BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION- In case you don’t have enough to remember these days, this is just a friendly reminder that Chatterton is a strong participant in the Box Tops for Education program. In the last 5 years, Chatterton has been awarded almost $10,000! This is FREE and EASY money for our PTA to put towards school improvements and events for our children. All you have to do is download the free app, clip/scan your store receipt with any Box Tops brands and the money goes straight to our school account. We will continue to award our top classes who submit the most clipped Box Tops during the year! Please make sure all clippings sent in with your child are clearly labeled with your teacher’s name in a baggie/envelope so that your class gets credit towards a prize. Since July, Chatterton has already earned $32 (that’s 320 Box Tops!) so keep it going! For more information or questions, please contact Chatterton’s Box Tops Coordinator, Samantha Pucella, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stop & Shop A+ Rewards Program – Help us earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support
- Amazon Smile– When buying on Amazon choose the following organization to support: PTA New York Congress 010-140 Chatterton School PTA.