New York State English Language Arts and Mathematics Assessments will be administered beginning this week. Teachers have focused on their engaging curriculum to further develop their students’ reading and math skills. They have also spent some time familiarizing the students to the structure of the exam, which will be administered on the computer. All assessments will be administered in the students’ classroom and all students will remain in their classroom during the assessment administration. Students who do not take the assessment will participate in an academic activity in their classroom during that time.
NYSED made some changes to the assessment for this school year:
* We will be only administering session one (multiple choice)
* According to NYSED, assessments may only be administered in person and cannot be administered remotely
* The assessment is not going to be linked to teacher accountability for this school year
* The ELA assessment will be administered on April 19th for grades 3 and 4 and April 21 for grades 5 and 6
* The math assessment will be administered on May 3 for grades 3 and 4 and May 5 for grades 5 and 6
* The science assessment will be administered on June 7 for grade 4
Spring has finally sprung! We are hoping as the weather continues to shape up, our students will be able to enjoy more outdoor recess days. Please have a conversation with your child about making good choices as they play together. Here are some ideas based on some recent observations and occurrences:
* Recess is a time when EVERYONE is included. There’s no such thing as, “You can’t play.” At Chatterton we believe the more the merrier!
* A game during recess is not the Super Bowl or World Series. It is a time to have fun and get our wiggles out. Remind children not to let competition lead us to make unsafe choices. Aggressive, rough play is not allowed.
* Turn-taking is an important skill. Passing during ball games and waiting on line safely are ways to ensure everyone has a positive recess experience and avoids conflicts.
* Ask yourself: Am I a good friend? Am I kind? Am I a bucket filler?
* Please remind your children to wear their masks during close play at recess to keep each other safe.
Merrick SEPTA presents a workshop for parents of children with special needs entitled: How to Protect your Child Legally and Financially. Please join Wednesday, April 21 at 7:15 PM. Zoom ID: 85137026099 Passcode: SEPTA2021
Have a wonderful week!
ON THE CALENDAR
Auntie Anne’s Pretzels are coming to Chatterton on May 25, 2021! You can order your child’s pretzel though Boonli.com when you order lunch for May. Ordering will be open from April 12th -April 23RD while lunch is open. auntie anne May 2021
BOONLI LUNCH PROGRAM
Lunch ordering for May is NOW OPEN until midnight on April 23rd!
May 25th is Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Day!
Get your orders in! No late orders accepted!
Lunch will be served Wednesdays and Fridays.
New spirit wear available for order- just in time for spring/summer:
Shorts (please note all items are unisex-even if there’s a man or boy modeling the items in the pictures), t-shirts, flip flops, slides, beach/pool towels, aluminum water bottles, etc. !!
Any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Website – If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo. http://chattertonpta.org
Join our Facebook Page Chatterton PTA for up to the minute information and reminders.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS
PTA Membership– This year we are asking all families to join using the following link http://chatterton.memberhub.store. Standard membership is $15.00 and each additional family member is $10. Classes with 100% membership participation receive a class reward!
SEPTA: Merrick School District Special Education PTA, serves the interest of families in all three of our elementary schools – Chatterton, Birch and Levy Lakeside. Please support SEPTA and become a member! https://merricksepta.memberhub.store