Our first two weeks back to school were such a success! It is so wonderful to see all the children smiling and happy to be back! Thank you to all the families for such a smooth arrival and dismissal process during the beginning of the year. We look forward to another wonderful week ahead!
Students will participate in their first bus drill of the year on Tuesday, September 17th. Teachers will be reviewing the safety procedures and rules for the bus with all students. Please reinforce the importance of bus safety with your children at home!
The Merrick School District has been selected to be featured on NBC’s The Today Show!! They are doing a story on mental health education in schools and since here in Merrick, we have a robust social-emotional health curriculum, they have requested to come to Chatterton School to see the students involved in a lesson.
On Thursday, September 19th in Today’s 8 o’clock hour, (barring any breaking news which may delay the airing), fifth grade students will be featured engaged in a Social-Emotional Learning lesson with one of our 5th grade teachers, Andrea McCabe. Our Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Dominick Palma, will also be featured from his 1:1 interview with Kate Snow.
We are so proud to have our students and Merrick UFSD featured as part of their program! Set your DVRs!!
DATES TO REMEMBER
Open House- Monday September 16th for Grades 3-6 & Mrs. Stephens/Dr. Green’s class
- Grade 3 is 6:00 – 6:45pm
- Grade 4 is 6:45pm – 7:30pm & Mrs. Stephens/Dr. Green’s class
- Grade 6 is 7:30pm – 8:15pm in the APR
- Grade 5 is 8:15pm – 9:00pm
Monday September 16th- 6th Grade Committee Meeting 7pm in the Faculty Room
Thursday September 19th- Welcome Back Picnic – Come join Chatterton families for a “Welcome Back” evening of food, fun and dancing from 5-7 P.M. on the field behind the school! Don’t forget to bring your chairs or picnic blankets. In case of rain, the picnic will be held in the Chatterton All Purpose Room. Food and drinks available from Matty Smokes BBQ & Catering if you purchased tickets, or bring your own picnic food and/or drinks (non-alcoholic only). Enjoy music provided by a live DJ. Every child will receive free ices, compliments of the Chatterton PTA. Additionally, ice cream will be available for purchase from on-site ice cream truck. Welcome Back Picnic 2019
Monday September 23rd- Class Captain Meeting – There is a Class Captain Meeting on Monday September 23rd at 6:30 PM in the APR. Class captains will be contacted prior to the meeting. You must be a PTA member to hold these positions.
Monday September 23rd- PTA Meeting – Join us for our first monthly PTA meeting Monday, September 23rd at 7 PM in the APR immediately following the class captain meeting. Hear about some changes to your child’s school day as well as the PTA events planned for the year.
SEPTA: Merrick School District Special Education PTA, serves the interest of families in all three of our elementary schools – Chatterton, Birch and Levy Lakeside. Please support SEPTA and become a member! https://merricksepta.memberhub.store
PTA Membership –
The Chatterton PTA membership site is open for for the 2019 -2020 school year.
Use link: Chatterton.memberhub.store
- Membership is $12 for first member and $8 for each additional member.
- We encourage everyone to become a PTA member. Every class that has 100 percent of families registered as PTA members will receive an extra recess time!
- You will not be able to attend PTA sponsored field trips or events if you are not a PTA member.
- These membership fees help to sponsor functions such as cultural arts events, Peace and Friendship day, class field trips and many other great events for your children throughout the school year!
PTA Lunch Service – Lunch service began Wednesday September 11th.
- Online ordering system- www.boonli.com. Instructions for registration were included with your child’s placement letters.
- No late orders can be accepted. If you have any questions or problems with registration or ordering please contact email@example.com. Thanks for your cooperation.
- Ordering for October opened Wednesday, September 4th and closes at midnight Wednesday, September 18th.
PTA Website – We have a great website! If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo.
- Log onto http://chattertonpta.org.
- A printed copy of the PTA Memo will be sent home with your child(ren). This will be the last printed copy. After this week, the PTA Memo will come directly to you through email or it can be viewed on-line at the above link.
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
PTA Committees– Our PTA can always use extra help and volunteers!! Please see slate (link below) for chair and committee contact info to volunteer.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. This will enable you to have a window into the learning experiences and activities your children are engaged in during the school day. Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS.
CHATTERTON PTA’S FUNDRAISERS
*Pls check our website periodically for upcoming fund campaigns!* http://chattertonpta.org/fundraising/
- Chatterton PTA Discount Cards: This year we have teamed up with Birch and Lakeside PTAs to raise money for each of our PTAs. The cost per discount card is $20. Please follow the link below and follow the directions to purchase your card.https://my.cheddarup.com/c/merrick-school-district-2019-20-discount-card-16411
Once you have received confirmation of your purchase please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org and please include your home address when emailing the confirmation.
- Shop at Shutterfly or Tiny Prints and 13% of your purchase will be donated to Chatterton PTA!! http://chatterton.shutterflystorefront.com
- BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION- The 2019-2020 school year marks our 6th Box Tops for Education™ competition among Chatterton classes. As of today, this contest has generated over $6,000 for our school. That is over 60,000 Box Tops clipped from many of our favorite home products and foods and sent in from all grades and classes throughout Chatterton. We welcome and encourage you and your child(ren) to help support our school in this program! The PTA receives a check from Box Tops for Education™ twice a year and the money goes directly towards many of its sponsored programs, events and field trips to enhance every student’s experience at Chatterton School. Please send in your clippings in a baggie or envelope with your child’s teacher’s name so that each Box Top is counted towards total class numbers. Prizes are awarded to the top classes! OUR COMPETITION DEADLINES FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR ARE AS FOLLOWS:
*** FRIDAY OCTOBER 18th, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 14th and FRIDAY, JUNE 12th**
BIG CHANGES ARE HERE!!!
You may have already noticed on some products that traditional Box Tops are being phased out and instead of clipping, ALL BOX TOPS WILL BE EARNED DIGITIALLY via receipt scan. You’ll now download the new and improved, user-friendly Box Tops app, register and select Chatterton as your school, and then scan an eligible receipt containing Box Tops products. Chatterton earns 10 cents for each Box Tops product purchased plus extra earnings for any Bonus Box Tops opportunities. The app will automatically add Box Tops to Chatterton’s earnings online, giving visibility to see how you are supporting our school in real-time. For more information or questions, please contact Chatterton’s Box Tops Coordinator, Samantha Pucella, at email@example.com
Stop & Shop Fundraiser – Stop & Shop A+ Rewards program – Help us earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support!
Happy Birthday! – Each month, on the bulletin board in the main hallway, the PTA posts the names of children who are celebrating birthdays. In order to make the board more exciting and fun, we would love to include a recent photo to go beside each child’s name. Please send in a photo to your child’s teacher in an envelope labeled “PTA birthday photo”, including your child’s name, birthday month, teacher and grade on both envelope and photo. Please submit by October 1. This photo will not be returned. Any questions, please contact Maria Milito 516-835-2209, Mcpmilito@yahoo.com.