Dear Chatterton Families,
I share an old high school story with you in this week’s Monday Memo. I recall vividly a meeting that I had with a student one Monday morning back in my Calhoun days about a “fight” she had with another student over the weekend. During the meeting, after a good amount of confusion on my part, I realized that the fight was not hand-to-hand combat, but rather via text. The two children were at a weekend party and they sat yards apart “yelling” at each other via text. While not happy that this conflict happened, I was somewhat relieved that nobody was physically harmed.
Over the past few decades, we have evolved into an instantaneous-communication culture. Information literally travels at the speed of light. And COVID hasn’t helped. We need Zoom. We need Twitter. We need to know things right away. And, we need to protect our children from the really scary pitfalls that electronic communication has created. During Red Ribbon week, we will offer presentations (on Zoom, ironically) on “cyber safety”. We are also planning on partnering with the Bellmore-Merrick Coalition to schedule sessions like this for later in the school year on a similar topic.
None of what I have noted above is breaking news. I do think, however, the advent of virtual learning, working remotely, social media as a platform for political news, etc. compels us as adults to work even harder to protect the children from these potential pitfalls. I’m not sure of the answers to all the challenges, but when all else seems too difficult, I default to the strategy of “communication.” We need to share these cyber-safety assemblies. We need to have frank discussions with the children. We need to “fight” the drawbacks of electronic communication with the important benefits of person-to-person communication. I know, in speaking with Ms. Bermas, how important communication with children and families is to the mission of Chatterton!
I don’t want to be too preachy, nor do I like to state the obvious. I just wanted to highlight the asterisked fact that you’ve circled in your mind as the no-so-new, but ever-changing, and seemingly younger child parenting challenge of managing electronic communication.
Please note a few quick reminders and notes:
- Please remember to complete the health screening app for your child each morning before 8:00am. The district’s reminder texts have stopped, so if you need a reminder, you can create one for yourself by clicking on the account gear on the My School Badge app.
- This Wednesday is Unity Day at school. We will engage in a few “working together” activities in school. We will also ask students and staff to wear something orange to signify our recognition of Unity Day. A reminder email will go out tomorrow (Tuesday).
- Next week we will celebrate Red Ribbon Week with a week’s worth of events and dress-ups to highlight the importance of good decision making
Enjoy your week…
ON THE CALENDAR
Thursday October 29th Drive of the Jack-O’ Lanterns! Keep an eye out for event details! If anyone would like to lend/donate Halloween decor (inflatables, outdoor items), and/or interested in volunteering for this outdoor event – please reach out: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTA Website – If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo. http://chattertonpta.org
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS
PTA Membership– This year we are asking all families to join using the following link http://chatterton.memberhub.store. Standard membership is $15.00 and each additional family member is $10. Classes with 100% membership participation will receive a class reward!
SEPTA: Merrick School District Special Education PTA, serves the interest of families in all three of our elementary schools – Chatterton, Birch and Levy Lakeside. Please support SEPTA and become a member! https://merricksepta.memberhub.store
CHATTERTON PTA FUNDRAISERS
- Get the Merrick School District Electronic Discount Card for only $21 total! This year the “card” is accessed through a phone app. The card/app will “pay for itself” since you can use the coupons all year long. Each discount can be used every time you shop. There is no limit to the amount of times you use each one. Discounts are good through June 30, 2021. There will be a $1 transaction fee ($20 cost of card + $1 transaction fee). To order your card, please click on the following link: https://tdcapp.us/school_student/schoolstd After your order is placed, you will receive a text message with the link to the app. Please click the link and follow the steps at the bottom of the page that states, “Tap the icon below, scroll and select to add to your home screen”. Once it is saved to your home screen, just click away to show the discount to your local businesses! You will access this app each time you want to use a discount. If you have any questions please contact: Jessica Mack, Chattertonptafundraising@gmail.com
- BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION- In case you don’t have enough to remember these days, this is just a friendly reminder that Chatterton is a strong participant in the Box Tops for Education program. In the last 5 years, Chatterton has been awarded almost $10,000! This is FREE and EASY money for our PTA to put towards school improvements and events for our children. All you have to do is download the free app, clip/scan your store receipt with any Box Tops brands and the money goes straight to our school account. Our first Box Tops Submission Deadline is next Friday, October 16th! For more information or questions, please contact Chatterton’s Box Tops Coordinator, Samantha Pucella, at email@example.com
- Stop & Shop A+ Rewards Program – Help us earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support
- Amazon Smile– When buying on Amazon choose the following organization to support: PTA New York Congress 010-140 Chatterton School PTA.