As you know, last week we celebrated World Day for Bullying Prevention. In fact, the month of October has been identified as Anti-Bullying month. The first few weeks of school have been different on one hand, but very special on the other. I think we all, especially the children, have embraced thistemporary new normal in large part because we simply missed school. I do wholeheartedly believe that the children are so very happy to be back in school, and while it’s still early to have had instances of poor behavior, bad decisions, etc., those feelings of happiness and appreciation trickle down to the children’s interpersonal sharing of kindness, respect, love and all those character traits that foster anti-bullying behaviors.
That being said, we must remain vigilant in guarding against bullying. We, as a school, remain focused to promote kindness and denounce meanness. We know that the larger Chatterton community joins us in this goal.
Below are quotes that were shared by teachers as their favorite and sayings that I personally included in thoughts we would read the children over the course of the month. The ones bolded were read last week. Please feel free in joining us in analyzing the sayings and furthering the discussions of friendship, kindness, inclusivity, respect and love.
- “When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.” –R. J. Palacio, Wonder
- “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Ronald Reagan
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, that people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” –Maya Angelou
- “Knowing what’s right doesn’t mean much unless you do what’s right.” –Theodore Roosevelt
- “I would rather be a little nobody, then to be an evil somebody.” –Abraham Lincoln
- “I’ve been searching for ways to heal myself, and I’ve found that kindness is the best way.” – Lady Gaga
- “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” –Dalai Lama
- “Good character depends upon the choices you make.” – American Proverb
- “We explain when someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you do not stoop to their level. Our motto is when they go low, you go high.” –Michelle Obama
- “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.” – Amelia Earhart
- “Treat everyone with politeness and kindness, not because they are nice, but because you are.”–
- “Courage. Kindness. Friendship. Character. These are the qualities that define us as human beings, and propel us, on occasion, to greatness.” –Wonder
- “A good friend is like a four-leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have.” – Irish Proverb
- “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” –Martin Luther King Jr.
Please feel free in joining us in analyzing the sayings and furthering the discussions of friendship, kindness, inclusivity, respect and love with your children.
ON THE CALENDAR
Monday October 12th Schools Closed Columbus Day
Our first Box Tops Submission Deadline is Friday, October 16th.
Drive of the Jack-O’ Lanterns coming soon! Keep an eye out for event details!
PTA Website – If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo. http://chattertonpta.org
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS
PTA Membership– This year we are asking all families to join using the following link http://chatterton.memberhub.store. Standard membership is $15.00 and each additional family member is $10. Classes with 100% membership participation will receive a class reward!
SEPTA: Merrick School District Special Education PTA, serves the interest of families in all three of our elementary schools – Chatterton, Birch and Levy Lakeside. Please support SEPTA and become a member! https://merricksepta.memberhub.store
CHATTERTON PTA FUNDRAISERS
- Get the Merrick School District Electronic Discount Card for only $21 total! This year the “card” is accessed through a phone app. The card/app will “pay for itself” since you can use the coupons all year long. Each discount can be used every time you shop. There is no limit to the amount of times you use each one. Discounts are good through June 30, 2021. There will be a $1 transaction fee ($20 cost of card + $1 transaction fee). To order your card, please click on the following link: https://tdcapp.us/school_student/schoolstd After your order is placed, you will receive a text message with the link to the app. Please click the link and follow the steps at the bottom of the page that states, “Tap the icon below, scroll and select to add to your home screen”. Once it is saved to your home screen, just click away to show the discount to your local businesses! You will access this app each time you want to use a discount. If you have any questions please contact: Jessica Mack, Chatterton School, 516.721.4175, Chattertonptafundraising@gmail.com
- BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION- In case you don’t have enough to remember these days, this is just a friendly reminder that Chatterton is a strong participant in the Box Tops for Education program. In the last 5 years, Chatterton has been awarded almost $10,000! This is FREE and EASY money for our PTA to put towards school improvements and events for our children. All you have to do is download the free app, clip/scan your store receipt with any Box Tops brands and the money goes straight to our school account. Our first Box Tops Submission Deadline is next Friday, October 16th! For more information or questions, please contact Chatterton’s Box Tops Coordinator, Samantha Pucella, at email@example.com
- Stop & Shop A+ Rewards Program – Help us earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support
- Amazon Smile– When buying on Amazon choose the following organization to support: PTA New York Congress 010-140 Chatterton School PTA.