Due to the increase of Flu cases, our district has and will continue to, take the necessary steps to properly cleanse and disinfect all areas of our buildings. In an effort to keep everyone safe and healthy, we urge you to please keep your child at home if he/she is sick. In addition, please speak to your child about the following ways to prevent contracting and/or spreading of the Flu and other illnesses:
– Respiratory Etiquette – “Cover that cough”. Coughing into the elbow instead of the hand helps prevent the spread of germs
– Hand washing is critical for prevention. Students should wash their hands prior to eating and avoid hand to mouth contact.
Should your child show any signs and symptoms, it is extremely important that you see your primary physician as soon as possible. As always, please contact our school nurse, Mrs. Kravitz, should your child be diagnosed with any illness.
Students in Grades 2 & 4 will be taking the OLSAT assessment this week. This information is used as one measure to determine eligibility for entrance into our APEX program for the following school year. There is nothing you need to do to prepare for these assessments. The students will take a practice test on Monday to help them to understand the types of problems they will see on the assessment.
Box Tops for Education: The next deadline for Box Tops is Friday February 15th.
- Please include your child’s name and teacher on the envelope.
Chatterton PTA’s Fundraisers:
Pls check our website periodically for upcoming fund campaigns!! http://chattertonpta.org/fundraising/
- 2018-2019 Fundraiser Event Calendar: http://chattertonpta.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Fundraising-Event-Calendar-2018_2019.pdf
- Chatterton PTA Discount Cards: The card is filled with discounts from 20 local vendors and can be used each time you visit between now and June 30, 2019. Click on link to print order form and send in to main office. Discount Card Order Form
- Shop at Shutterfly or Tiny Prints and 13% of your purchase will be donated to Chatterton PTA!! http://chatterton.shutterflystorefront.com
SAVE THE DATE: Chatterton’s Spring Fundraiser- CASINO NIGHT!!
- Friday April 5, 2019 @Merrick Hook & Ladder 7:30PM-11:30PM
- Please see details and contact to volunteer to help with the event:
PTA Positions for the 2019 -2020 School Year
The following positions are open for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Co- Presidents (2 positions)
- VP of Committees
- Recording Secretary
- Corresponding Secretary
- VP of programming
PTA Membership –
We encourage everyone to become a PTA member. Every class that has 100 percent of families registered as PTA members will receive an extra recess time!!!
- Membership is $12 for first member and $8 for each additional member.
- In order to join you will need to follow this hyperlink: Chatterton.memberhub.store
- You will not be able to attend PTA sponsored field trips or events if you are not a PTA member.
- These membership fees help to sponsor functions such as: cultural arts events, Peace and Friendship day, class field trips and many other great events for your children throughout the school year!
PTA Website – We have a great website! If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo.
- In order to do so, log onto
Sweetheart Social– Chatterton Sweetheart Social will be Thursday February 7th from 6-8 PM. See Invite to RSVP!!
On Friday, February 8 we will hold our third annual all-day in-house field trip for the fourth grade.
- Journeys into American Indian Territories will bring the culture of the American Indians of New York and the Eastern Woodlands to life in a hands-on learning experience.
- Students will create their own traditional-style clay pot, play games that American Indian children their age once played, examine artifacts, learn an ancient song and dance, and walk through a model longhouse.
- This program supplements our fourth grade curriculum and will provide a deeper knowledge and understanding of the first peoples of New York.
PTA Cultural Arts Program- Due to popular demand, the PTA Cultural Arts Program is expanding the chess learning experience this year to include not only grades one and two (as we did last year), but grades five and six as well. The Long Island Chess Nuts, a non-profit scholastic chess club, will be coming to Chatterton’s fifth and sixth grade classrooms in November and December, and to Chatterton’s first and second grade classrooms in January and February. The Long Island Chess Nuts goal is to promote the educational and positive benefits of learning chess.
- Each first and second grade class will receive four lessons on consecutive Tuesdays (February 5, February 12 and February 26.)
- Each of the classes has been provided with chess sets so that the children can practice their chess games during indoor recess periods, if they so chose.
Reminders & Ongoing Programs –
PTA Lunch Service –
- Ordering for March is now open.
Online lunch program is BOONLI.
- Online ordering system- www.boonli.com. Instructions for registration were included with your child’s placement letters.
- No late orders can be accepted. If you have any questions or problems with registration or ordering please contact email@example.com. Thanks for your cooperation.
Box Tops for Education
The 2018-2019 school year marks our 5th Box Tops for Education™ competition among classes. As of today, this contest has generated over $5,000 for our school. That is over 50,000 Box Tops clipped from many of our favorite home products and foods and sent in from all grades and classes throughout Chatterton. Each Box Top is worth 10 cents. The PTA receives a check from Box Tops for Education™ twice a year and uses the money towards many of its sponsored programs, events and field trips to enhance every student’s experience at Chatterton School.
- First, second and third place winnings will be announced and new prizes are created each year! There are TWO submission deadlines remaining this school year. Our second deadline will be Friday, February 15th and our final deadline, Friday, June 14th.
- Please note the expiration dates and cut on the dotted lines. Nothing expired or ripped will be counted! Please send your Box Tops in with your child in an envelope or baggie labeled with your child’s teacher’s name so that everything counted!
- Box Tops are included on hundreds of products including Hanes clothing, Betty Crocker baking goods, General Mills cereals, Yoplait yogurts, Kleenex and Scott paper goods and Green Giant vegetables, just to name a few. For more information and a list of participating products, please visit www.boxtops4education.com
Stop & Shop Fundraiser – Stop & Shop A+ Rewards program – Welcome to the start of a new school year and the opportunity to again earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is now open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. New! If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support!
Happy Birthday! – Each month, on the bulletin board in the main hallway, the PTA posts the names of children who are celebrating birthdays. In order to make the board more exciting and fun, we would love to include a recent photo to go beside each child’s name. Please send in a photo to your child’s teacher in an envelope labeled “PTA birthday photo”, including your child’s name, birthday month, teacher and grade on both envelope and photo. Please submit by October 1. This photo will not be returned. Thank you very much! Pls contact Maria Milito 516-835-2209, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. This will enable you to have a window into the learning experiences and activities your children are engaged in during the school day.
Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS.
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
PTA Committees- Our PTA can always use extra help and volunteers!! Pls see slate for chair and committee contact info to volunteer.