This past week we held Parent/Teacher Conferences. I very much enjoyed speaking with parents and teachers just prior to and after individual conferences. It was so very evident to me that there is a wonderful connection between school and home, and an excellent working relationship between teacher and parent.
On Tuesday, March 12, we had an assembly to host local author Jen Calonita for our students in grades 3-6. Ms. Calonita focused on her Fairy Tale Reform School Series which includes the books Wicked, Charmed, Flunked, Tricked, and Wished. Jen has visited our school in the past to talk about this series and her life as an author. She lives locally, in North Merrick.
This coming Tuesday, March 19, we will be hosting local author Judy Pernice for our K-2 students. Ms. Pernice will read and have a presentation about her The Adventures of Annabelle Series, which includes the books Annabelle and the Last Day of School, Annabelle and the Messy Room, and Annabelle and Her First Garden. Judy is a Merrick resident. Both Jen and Judy were guest readers at our recent Community Read Day.
New York State English Language Arts and Mathematics Assessments will be administered over the next couple of months. Teachers have focused on their engaging curriculum to further develop their students’ reading and math skills. They have also spent some time familiarizing the students to the structure of the exam, which will be administered on the computer.
The tests, as was the case last year, are not timed and have been shortened to two days instead of three. The students will have as much time as they need to complete the assessment. The tests will consist of multiple choice questions, short response questions and extended response questions over the course of two days.
The testing will take place on the following days:
ELA: Grades 3 & 4 – Tuesday, April 2nd and Wednesday, April 3rd
Grades 5 & 6 – Thursday, April 4th and Friday, April 5th
Math: Grades 5 & 6 – Tuesday, April 30th and Wednesday, May 1st
Grades 3 & 4 – Thursday, May 2nd and Friday, May 3rd
The district does encourage all children to take their respective New York State assessments. We would be more to speak with you on the phone to explain the recent changes that NYSED made to the assessments and how the district continues to utilize the data derived from various assessments to meet the learning needs of your child. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give either of us a call at 516-992-7270.
PTA Positions for the 2019 -2020 School Year
The following positions are open for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Co- Presidents (2 positions)
- VP of Committees
- Recording Secretary
- Corresponding Secretary
- VP of programming
Chatterton’s annual Skate Night!
- Thursday March 21st 6:30 – 9:00 PM
- United Skates of America- $5 admission & $5 skate rental
As part of our PTA’s Cultural Arts Program, Fuel The Soul Yoga Studio of Merrick will conduct a Yoga Assembly at Chatterton on Friday, March 22. The entire school will have a chance to practice yoga. Each grade will be seen individually, and will be led through a fun, yet relaxing, yoga class. The program consists of a mix between a lighthearted approach to yoga asana (exercises) mixed with fun and educational ideas about the concepts found in Yoga, including, Community, Deep Breathing, Mindfulness, Concentration, Focus, Quiet, Caring for others, Self Awareness, the origins of Yoga and the Postures, Nature, Balance, Acceptance and Contentment.
- Fuel the Soul Yoga Studio uses age appropriate teachings to make all of the sessions fun, unique, educational, and physically invigorating.
- Please have your children wear loose, comfortable clothing on Friday, March 22 for the yoga sessions.
We are excited to announce our March PTA/Principal Breakfast. This is a great way to discuss all things Chatterton. The invite is attached to this email. If you are interested and able to attend, please fill out the bottom of the invite and send it back to school with your child.
Reminders & Ongoing Programs –
Chatterton PTA’s Fundraisers:
Crunch Fitness Spin Ride Fundraiser!
- Saturday April 13th @1pm
- PTA Spin Ride Fundraiser
Pls check our website periodically for upcoming fund campaigns!! http://chattertonpta.org/fundraising/
- 2018-2019 Fundraiser Event Calendar: Fundraising Event Calendar 2018_2019 for website
- Chatterton PTA Discount Cards: The card is filled with discounts from 20 local vendors and can be used each time you visit between now and June 30, 2019. Click on link to print order form and send in to main office. Discount Card Order Form
- Shop at Shutterfly or Tiny Prints and 13% of your purchase will be donated to Chatterton PTA!! http://chatterton.shutterflystorefront.com
PTA Lunch Service –
- Ordering for April is now closed
Online lunch program is BOONLI.
- Online ordering system- www.boonli.com. Instructions for registration were included with your child’s placement letters.
- No late orders can be accepted. If you have any questions or problems with registration or ordering please contact email@example.com. Thanks for your cooperation.
PTA Membership –
We encourage everyone to become a PTA member. Every class that has 100 percent of families registered as PTA members will receive an extra recess time!!!
- Membership is $12 for first member and $8 for each additional member.
- In order to join you will need to follow this hyperlink: Chatterton.memberhub.store
- You will not be able to attend PTA sponsored field trips or events if you are not a PTA member.
- These membership fees help to sponsor functions such as: cultural arts events, Peace and Friendship day, class field trips and many other great events for your children throughout the school year!
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
PTA Committees- Our PTA can always use extra help and volunteers!! Pls see slate for chair and committee contact info to volunteer.
PTA Website – We have a great website! If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo.
- In order to do so, log onto
Box Tops for Education
The 2018-2019 school year marks our 5th Box Tops for Education™ competition among classes. As of today, this contest has generated over $5,000 for our school. That is over 50,000 Box Tops clipped from many of our favorite home products and foods and sent in from all grades and classes throughout Chatterton. Each Box Top is worth 10 cents. The PTA receives a check from Box Tops for Education™ twice a year and uses the money towards many of its sponsored programs, events and field trips to enhance every student’s experience at Chatterton School.
- First, second and third place winnings will be announced and new prizes are created each year! There are is ONE more submission deadline remaining this school year. Our FINAL deadline will be Friday, June 14th.
- Please note the expiration dates and cut on the dotted lines. Nothing expired or ripped will be counted! Please send your Box Tops in with your child in an envelope or baggie labeled with your child’s teacher’s name so that everything counted!
- Box Tops are included on hundreds of products including Hanes clothing, Betty Crocker baking goods, General Mills cereals, Yoplait yogurts, Kleenex and Scott paper goods and Green Giant vegetables, just to name a few. For more information and a list of participating products, please visit www.boxtops4education.com
Stop & Shop Fundraiser – Stop & Shop A+ Rewards program – Welcome to the start of a new school year and the opportunity to again earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is now open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. New! If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support!
Happy Birthday! – Each month, on the bulletin board in the main hallway, the PTA posts the names of children who are celebrating birthdays. In order to make the board more exciting and fun, we would love to include a recent photo to go beside each child’s name. Please send in a photo to your child’s teacher in an envelope labeled “PTA birthday photo”, including your child’s name, birthday month, teacher and grade on both envelope and photo. Please submit by October 1. This photo will not be returned. Thank you very much! Pls contact Maria Milito 516-835-2209, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. This will enable you to have a window into the learning experiences and activities your children are engaged in during the school day.
Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS.