The New York State Mathematics assessment will be administered this week. The tests, which will be administered on the computer, will be offered to our grades 5 and 6 students on Tuesday and Wednesday, and for the grades 3 and 4 students on Thursday and Friday.
This is the third grade dance prep week with in-school rehearsals taking place around the math testing schedule. We also have varied musical rehearsals taking place for the upcoming spring concert and art show.
This spring our 6th grade students are very busy in their writing class learning all about writing about social issues, studying young activists and the power that young people have to create positive change in our world. They are discussing various causes that they are concerned about, from health and animal issues to economic and environmental concerns. Along the way they are reading about, and becoming inspired by other young people who have used their voices to bring about powerful changes.
The Chatterton family would like to wish Cheryl Siano good health and happiness in her retirement. Tuesday this week will be Ms. Siano’s last day as a Teaching Assistant. Ms. Siano has been at Chatterton for the past 22 years. She notes that she will miss the camaraderie of the staff and the smiles of the children. Good luck Cheryl…
Two of our students were so moved by this unit of study in writing that they felt compelled to learn more and try their hand at using their voices to bring about change. They approached Mrs. Cain with the idea to have the 6th grade students participate in the National School Walkout. (Typically, on April 20th, the anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting). They learned more about it on their own and clearly explained to all 6th grade students what they planned on doing. They motivated all of our students to become activists by having them participate in a powerful event to help bring about awareness for the need for better gun control, and to honor the 13 lives lost in the tragic Columbine school shooting 20 years ago.
At 9:45am on the Wednesday before the break, all 65 sixth grade students and their teachers lined the hallway of the second floor and sat in complete silence in honor and remembrance of the 13 lives that were lost 20 years ago at Columbine. Their silent protest was “heard” by many students and adults that walked through the hallway.
A Look Ahead:
May 7: BOE Meeting at 7:15 PM
May 9: Grade 6 Buddy Day at MAMS
May 9: Grade Dance Performance, 6:15 PM
May 10: PTA Plant Sale
May 15: Spring Concert & Art Show (During Day for Students and in the Evening for Parents)
May 17: STEAM Day
May 22: Grade 4 NYS Science Test
The PTA’s Cultural Arts program is sponsoring the second annual third grade dance residency with The Vanaver Caravan. Third graders will be performing various cultural dances from around the world.
Students will practice their dances on five days during school, and will perform for the whole school during the day on Thursday, May 9, and for families in the evening also on Thursday, May 9. The dates for the dance residency are: Monday, April 29- Tuesday, April 30 – Tuesday, May 7 – Wednesday, May 8 – Thursday, May 9 – school performance for students during the day and family evening performance (students to arrive at 6:00 pm to put on costumes, gym doors open at 6:15 for the audience, the performance begins promptly at 6:30 pm)
The Vanaver Caravan has been teaching dance and music to students for more than 30 years. They do not simply teach the steps of a dance, they teach the stories behind the dances—linking to history, folklore, social movements, and cultural traditions.
PTA Meeting May 13th
- Joint PTA meeting with all schools followed by “Meet the Candidates” Night!
Chatterton’s Annual Plant Sale
Event Details and Class schedule Plant Sale 2019
- Friday May 10th all day during school
- Parents whom Volunteer to help at the event only are allowed to shop with their children.
- This year there will be an additional time frame for parents to come and shop together with their child from 2:55PM – 4:00PM.
- Please contact Autumn Donohue 516-395-5995 if you have any questions
Spring Art Show
- Wednesday May 15th 6-7:30 PM in the APR
- Wednesday May 15th 7 PM
Chatterton PTA’s Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- Thursday May 23rd in the APR
- See details to contribute 2019 STAFF APPRECIATION LUNCHEON
Gr. 3-4 Concert- Band and Chorus
- Friday May 31st
- (Parents) 9:30 AM (School) 1:30 PM
Reminders & Ongoing Programs –
Chatterton PTA’s Fundraisers:
- Saturday May 4th, all day during park hours
- Portion of bracelets purchased will go to Chatterton PTA
- Must pre-order bracelets by April 30th
- See details: Adventureland Fundraiser May 4, 2019
*Pls check our website periodically for upcoming fund campaigns!* http://chattertonpta.org/fundraising/
- 2018-2019 Fundraiser Event Calendar: Fundraising Event Calendar 2018_2019 for website
- Chatterton PTA Discount Cards: The card is filled with discounts from 20 local vendors and can be used each time you visit between now and June 30, 2019. Click on link to print order form and send in to main office. Discount Card Order Form
- Shop at Shutterfly or Tiny Prints and 13% of your purchase will be donated to Chatterton PTA!! http://chatterton.shutterflystorefront.com
PTA Lunch Service –
- Ordering for June is now open
Online lunch program is BOONLI.
- Online ordering system- www.boonli.com. Instructions for registration were included with your child’s placement letters.
- No late orders can be accepted. If you have any questions or problems with registration or ordering please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your cooperation.
PTA Membership –
We encourage everyone to become a PTA member. Every class that has 100 percent of families registered as PTA members will receive an extra recess time!!!
- Membership is $12 for first member and $8 for each additional member.
- In order to join you will need to follow this hyperlink: Chatterton.memberhub.store
- You will not be able to attend PTA sponsored field trips or events if you are not a PTA member.
- These membership fees help to sponsor functions such as: cultural arts events, Peace and Friendship day, class field trips and many other great events for your children throughout the school year!
Join our Facebook Page if you would like to receive up to the minute information and reminders.
PTA Committees- Our PTA can always use extra help and volunteers!! Pls see slate for chair and committee contact info to volunteer.
PTA Website – We have a great website! If you have not already done so, please register on our Chatterton PTA website in order to receive emails regarding upcoming events, important dates, lunch program information and to receive your weekly PTA Memo.
- In order to do so, log onto
Box Tops for Education
The 2018-2019 school year marks our 5th Box Tops for Education™ competition among classes. As of today, this contest has generated over $5,000 for our school. That is over 50,000 Box Tops clipped from many of our favorite home products and foods and sent in from all grades and classes throughout Chatterton. Each Box Top is worth 10 cents. The PTA receives a check from Box Tops for Education™ twice a year and uses the money towards many of its sponsored programs, events and field trips to enhance every student’s experience at Chatterton School.
- First, second and third place winnings will be announced and new prizes are created each year! There are is ONE more submission deadline remaining this school year. Our FINAL deadline will be Friday, June 14th.
- Please note the expiration dates and cut on the dotted lines. Nothing expired or ripped will be counted! Please send your Box Tops in with your child in an envelope or baggie labeled with your child’s teacher’s name so that everything counted!
- Box Tops are included on hundreds of products including Hanes clothing, Betty Crocker baking goods, General Mills cereals, Yoplait yogurts, Kleenex and Scott paper goods and Green Giant vegetables, just to name a few. For more information and a list of participating products, please visit www.boxtops4education.com
Stop & Shop Fundraiser – Stop & Shop A+ Rewards program – Welcome to the start of a new school year and the opportunity to again earn money for our school PTA. Simply log on to www.stopandshop.com/aplus or call 1-877-275-2758 to register your Stop & Shop card. Registration is now open and Chatterton’s ID # is 12028. New! If you registered last year you do not need to re-register. You can log in and verify the school assignment. Remember to have your family & friends register their cards too! Thank you for your support!
Happy Birthday! – Each month, on the bulletin board in the main hallway, the PTA posts the names of children who are celebrating birthdays. In order to make the board more exciting and fun, we would love to include a recent photo to go beside each child’s name. Please send in a photo to your child’s teacher in an envelope labeled “PTA birthday photo”, including your child’s name, birthday month, teacher and grade on both envelope and photo. Please submit by October 1. This photo will not be returned. Thank you very much! Pls contact Maria Milito 516-835-2209, email@example.com.
Chatterton Twitter Account – Please follow us on Twitter to receive the most current “learning snapshots” being posted. This will enable you to have a window into the learning experiences and activities your children are engaged in during the school day.
Our school Twitter account is @ChattertonSOARS.